Sunday, March 20, 2011

You Know That Moment?

  I can actually point to 2 of them, you know, those life altering moments when you discover something. The moments you realize that something has you, it has you, trapped... Mine was Fashion!
  I have to say "Thanks" to my great Aunt Larille. She is my Grandfathers sister, and one of the defining moments in my life, and definitely the start of my interest in fashion. The Moment? The First Time I said the words "Louis Vuitton". In 1980, LV was simply a luggage company that made well constructed, and coveted handbags as well, and actually represented Luxury. It still has those connotations, but is geared to a much younger, and massive market.
Although Not Larilles Speedy, This Image Reminds me of
Those Days!
  Larille was down visiting my Nano, from Los Angeles, and I remember clearly noting that her bag (I know now it was a Speedy probably 30cm) had L's and V's on it. When I asked about the markings, she explained the concept of the luxury goods company. That it was called Louis "Wuitton", and that the monogram basically meant that the purse would last forever... Larille explained it for me, in a way a 5 year old could understand, I wish I could remember her words, because I one day want my child to feel the excitement I felt!
  That excitement still happens to me whenever I see a collection I love, Springs Prada did it to me, as did Gucci for Fall... I think that, even then, I knew that fashion held the excitement, and has the exclusivity of a secret club. A way to explore my differences from other boys. A way to escape...      
  Larille was like an angel to me then, the mass of platinum hair swept high on her head... The white convertible Volkswagen Beetle, and she spoke articulately, and with just a hint of an accent, which I still don't know where it came from. She is my childhood fashion icon, when she bought me a dolly, and taught me a really basic stitch. She would always sit and watch my fashion shows for the wardrobe I created for the toy. I wonder if it would be weird for her knowing what she created! I wish I saw more of her down here... She is very old, but from what i hear still a character, riding around her neighborhood on her bicycle. It has been a while, 15 years, I think, since our branches of the family have gotten together, but, no matter how long it has been, she is definitely my moment, and Icon #1!
  I think I am gonna spread these out! More "Fashion Moments In Ian's History" to come!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. and that is one well-loved speedy!

    ReplyDelete