Monday, March 21, 2011

You Know That Moment? (Part 2)

  As I said before, I have distinct memories of the moments that drew me to fashion! My Aunt Larille and her Louis Vuitton Speedy bag, was one, and here is another... As a teen I moved around a lot, and although I had a ton of "great" friends, only a few of them turned out to be REALLY great! This is how Fashion became one of the great ones.
  One August day in 1990, I was in a drug store, I was loitering around the magazines, and caught a glimpse of a magazine that would change my life!
  The Harpers Bazaar Fall Fashion Issue. I knew the models name, everyone at that time should have, it was Linda... Evangelista, duh...  She was the most clever of the girls that were being called the "Supermodels", she was the one who said she wouldn't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day! But I was unfamiliar with this version of Linda, she was so elegant, so beautiful, it was maddening... The color of her eyes, everything was just so gorgeous!
  I would later discover that this issue was an important issue, because it was the first edited by Liz Tilberis. The era of Bazaar with her in control, was my bible, I had purchased Vogue occasionally, and definitely had an issue of W floating around, but this was my first religiously purchased magazine! I know most people use Vogue as their basis of fashion knowledge, but Tilberis had a way with covers! I can definitely say without a doubt my favorite covers were from Bazaar.
   I remember flipping through this book, looking at the Dolce pinstriped bell bottom suits, and the Les Copain mini hoop skirts. But Linda was the reason I opened it! Linda was how I knew I was going to be involved in this industry!
  Since then I have purchased nearly every issue of Bazaar, and although I don't keep them for more than 2-3 years, I treasure them until I am out of room! I was contemplating this post for a couple days, and while out with friends the other day, I stumbled across the "Bazaar, special edition, Best Covers Issue". Low and behold there was my Linda cover, and a few more that I had cherished! If you are a fashion buff, you need this issue. It goes back to the 1800's and their first issue, but more importantly, Has a slew of the covers from Lizs' reign. The Nadja Auerman issue so blatantly copied for W (featuring Kate Hudson), and the Linda issue in John Galliano during his short tenure at Givenchy, both classics and memorable. There was the Madonna Geisha issue, and honestly so many others! Well worth the $12! If for nothing else, just the memories, and rediscovered chills...

4 comments:

  1. I loved all the Liz Tilberis issues. This is the same time that I started hoarding magazines.
    I still have all of these at my moms. Now I only look at Harper's Bazaar when I get a pedicure. And only if there are no US Weeklies floating around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! I subscribe to Vogue, Ele, and W but not Bazaar... Lizs' absence is sorely felt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That said... I would buy those Linda Covers from you!

    ReplyDelete