Monday, April 18, 2011

Wow, Garance Has Some Choice Words For Us!

Garance Dore Photo from
Chaosmag.com
  Garance Dore apparently has no intention of working for American Vogue in the near future. Not that she needs to, she is one of the most prolific street style bloggers out there right now, and one of the most popular style/fashion blogs around. That being said, in one of her recent posts, she has generously decided to "translate" some commonly used phrases used by people in the fashion industry! It is a pretty witty post, and amusingly accurate... I tend to think that people are saying these subtexts when receiving compliments from people I don't know very well... What? Don't you?
  With sayings such as "You look so healthy" being subtexted to: "Is that a muffin top about to pop out of your jeans?". Or "You want my dermatologist’s/dietitian’s/hair-dresser’s contact?"  translating to "You really gotta do something, my dear. Time to get some SERIOUS work done…", it really keeps you giggling... For the most part. She ends up making digs at fashion insiders, who may or may not take themselves too seriously! 
Anna Wintour Photo
from Style.com
  One of the jabs goes to Vogue writer, and party girl, Lauren Santo Domingo, or on Twitter, @TheLSD. Garance translates "If I were an elegant lady in my early 80′s living, say, in Dallas, this would be the best blow-out ever" to My name is Lauren Santo Domingo and I know exactly how to talk to my hairdresser. And I share it with my followers!". Ouch, yes, LSD is a little out of touch with reality sometimes on her Twitter feed, but the thing is THAT is her reality! That is actually why I follow her on my Twitter feed (@ianca)... It is amusing, and not meant to be as ridiculous as it comes out. The big one though is directed at someone a little more powerful... "I’ve had the same haircut for 55 years now, and I don’t think I’ll be changing anytime soon." is supposed to mean "I’m so important, I’m like my own brand. And I’m my own logo. No no no, shhhh. Relax. I’m not for sale : I work in fashion."!!! Yikes, Anna Wintour is definitely not going to be happy about that one! 

2 comments: