Friday, June 10, 2011

Balenciaga and Spain!

Photo from AlainTruong.canalblog.com
  There was a point on Tuesday afternoon, staring into the Lesage embroidery of the Balenciaga Couture dress at the De Young's exhibit, that I nearly cried. I mean it, my eyes welled up with tears. I wasn't brave enough to dare take pics, but I admire (and thank) those that were. The docents were following people around, and were particularly vicious, I did get to do a couple sketches, but the shots do not do the amazing collection justice.
Photo from
AlainTroung.canalblog.com
  The selection they had covered the couturiers career, spanning from the late 30's to the end of the 60's. There were amazing embroidered, and corseted cocktail dresses, to his later geometric trapeze designs. It really was an almost spiritual moment for me! Some of my favorites were the lime charmeuse trapeze dress, with the bow on the front, and the flared cocktail dress in the middle of the selection in the photo to the left.

Photo from Threadmagazine.com
  The selection at the right was particularly inclusive. If you look closely, the styles vary from the green silk gazaar bubble dress, to a selection of earlier evening wear. the back of the pink piece was so beautiful it was one of the many teary eyed moments i encountered that day! It had a stand away collar, that went down into a deep V in the back, and a bow in the middle of it! So gorgeous!
  I feel so privileged to have gotten to see this show! Events like these remind me of what I love about fashion, seeing these garments were absolutely like looking into art!  I want to thank my patient friends who saw it with me... then waited for a half an hour in front of the museum for me! I had a really amazing vacation, and cannot wait for NYC! If McQueen is 1/4 as beautiful of an experience I know I will be in tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment