Friday, June 17, 2011

fash·ion /ˈfaSHən/


Me Working!
  :the latest and most admired style in clothes and cosmetics and behavior
  I have kind of explained my emotional connection with fashion, and the relevance it took at a really early age. Now as I have grown up with it as my sole interest in life, I am faced with the question of why. I feel like those of you who have known me for a number of years, have seen many different Me's. There has been Gothic Ian, Raver Ian, Glam Ian, Prep Ian, and who even knows what some of those incarnations could be categorized as.
  From an early age, I wanted nothing more than to be accepted. I wanted to be liked by the cool kids. Very rarely did that work out, for any length of time anyway. But as I tried, I would find ways of making them think I was one of them for a while, and I discovered that clothing was a great way to do it. It was a costume for me. If I wanted to hang out with the Gothic Kids, I would find outfits that were dark and flowy, if I was going to a rave with some Club Kids, I could easily do my makeup, and have stacks made. The only things I really ever had in common with MOST of these people were my clothes. 
  As I grew, and experienced all of these aspects of life, I took from each group the music, the garments, and accessories, the ideals, and mostly the people, that made me comfortable, happy, or dance, or laugh, and helped to create this person I am now! I equate each of theses era's with the costume I wore for each of them. In tights, and Doc Martin Boots, or Blinged out crosses, and gold tooth caps I went there, and did it full throttle.
  I know this sounds mostly like a sad story, but now, as an adult who can identify the number of holes a pair of Doc's has from a distance, or whether someones bell bottoms are vintage or replica's (there was a DeeLight phase in there somewhere...), and tell you in 1 heartbeat whether your Chanel bag is rel, or faux, I am only comfortable with just being me, and the people that I still have in my life from each of the era's know me for who I am, and have been. Just Me. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Girl! Lol, but according to my ratings, people don't care if I get personal! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that: you are AMAZING.

    I have known every Ian described in the post and many more and each and every one of them is a culmination of the greatness that is YOU. So do the do and just be you and continue to be an inspiration for me and long live Ian!!

    -fggofstyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiration!? Your picture is next to the word in the dictionary my love! You're the best! I miss you tons! Wish you were gonna be in NYC with me this weekend!

    ReplyDelete