Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Aunt said something that got me thinking...



Many times designers portray an image that would be too much for non-fashion folk. After my Aunt looked at the Jonathan Saunders review I posted, she said "I liked a few, but these mixed prints are too busy for  my liking". It really impacted me, my Aunt, like most women, is not involved in fashion, but designers are obligated to give them something translatable, even if it is just trickled down versions of their collections. So, I say take one of the printed pieces off, these looks are meant for the (maybe) 10% of the worlds population who are involved, and to draw attention to the collection on the runway! What about the brightly colored solid shirt (above right) and a more muted skirt with a fantastic print (below right). It really is about translation and what works for your life! If that is still to exotic, the first looks from his show were very simple suits, think of those as the mixers, put the mohair skirt with the prints. So when you are looking at a collection, or mannequins, or a spread in a magazine, and thinking "Wow, that's a lot of..."  just imagine the piece mixed with pieces you already love, and put it together in a way that works for you!






Photos From Style.com

3 comments:

  1. That model reminds me of Amy Wesson. I miss the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! i completely forgot about her! ah, the nineties...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching something about her on one of the few cable shows that covered the shows. She got interviewed and they asked her what she liked about being the model for BCBG. She goes, "I'm getting PAID."

    ReplyDelete